Thursday 16 April 2015

Injuries And Recoveries

Sunday afternoon, I had a softball practice. I love playing softball, I have been playing for about 7-9 years now and I'm still loving the sport.

The only downside to it, which is normal, are injuries.

I have received a few injuries before. I've hurt my knee, elbow, shoulder and I've broken my thumb during a game. Those aren't all that big, they're average injuries.

If you see someone with a finger split or two finger taped together, you'll don't think twice about it. The other injuries I've had, it was easy to hide/cover up what I needed to help recover (physiotherapy tape, braces, etc.) from the injury.

During that practice, I ended up either damaging or straining (I can't really remember if I'm being honest) the muscle running from my wrist to my elbow.

It's a pretty long muscle if you think about it, that calls for a lot of physiotherapy tape.

I currently have black and blue tape from between my fingers, over my hand, all the way up to my elbow and even a little bit past it.

Tonight I went to the gym with my dad, and to say I was uncomfortable was a little bit of an understatement.

Because I was wearing a t-shirt, you could see all of the tape. For the reason of it being physiotherapy tape and you don't know why people have it, you tend to look and wonder.

In other words, stare.

I got quite a few looks from people. They all seemed to want to know the same answer to the same question: What could you have possibly done to yourself or what situation could you have been in when that happened?

I was uncomfortable with people looking at me and looking at the tape. It wasn't something that I enjoyed, but then I realized something.

They don't have to know anything.

If people looking at the tape on my arm means that I'm getting what I need to make a recovery soon, then so be it.

Although it is embarrassing to have people look at you and wonder about your story, isn't it so much better to not think about that and focus on your own recovery?

No matter what the situation is for your injury or illness that you're recovering from, those strangers don't play a single role in your recovery.

Strangers don't and won't know every single detail in your life. If you have to wear something out in public that might draw attention to you, do it.

If it helps you get better, then you should do it! You're not going to see those people ever again.

Take your own health into your own hands and ignore what looks you could possibly be given.

Please do your best to look after yourself. It's important that you do.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment